Monday, February 6, 2012

When the Fireworks Are Over.

For many things experiences there can come two patterns. New experiences can bring to us an exhilaration coming from their novelty. This particular pattern brings to mind the term “honeymoon period”. The euphoria and sense of being enraptured in a new experience can carry a lot of energy. This energy can be channeled to accomplish a great deal. Most of the time this exhilaration fades and then the real work begins. This is the time to buckle down, plod through, and grind out the work, even when we don’t feel like it(insert favorite cliche about real work). The other pattern works like this: you put in a lot of hard work, and then at the end you feel exhilarated at something great that you look back on and have accomplished. But the time has to be spent.

When working with students I have been fortunate to witness both patterns many times. I love the excitement of being around students that have just begun and are ready to charge through and “take that education by storm”. I also like being there when they have completed a degree and they look back with awe at what they have worked through. Sadly there are some that don’t experience the second. Sometimes it is circumstances come and get in the way. But for some, the real work just isn’t worth it. They give up.

There were times I might have felt the same thing, but I found something down inside that told me to keep going. Admittedly, I had encouragement from many around me. In the end I still had to find the strength within myself. Sometimes that strength was hard to find.

I believe that most things that really are worth doing, feeling, and experiencing have to be worked for. Learning, finding our gift, chasing our passions, raising kids, and having meaningful relationships, are all about having some periods of euphoric bliss interspersed with periods of real work. Sadly, some people miss out on some really great blissful periods because they don't do the work.

Right now, the fireworks about writing have passed. At this point euphoria isn’t there to give me the energy, drive, and inspiration to write. This is one of those periods of “plodding through.” Inspiration is fickle, hard work is not. I just need to have faith that the hard work with be worth it in the end. I am pretty sure it will be.

1 comment:

  1. wonderfully written piece and so very wise. I loved it, Bill.

    ReplyDelete