Sunday, February 26, 2012

Looking Back at a Timeless Moment

The ballroom was filled with several hundred people and lots of round tables. At the one end there was a long table with seats arranged facing the crowded toom. This table was reserved for the wedding party. At the other end of the room were serving tables filled with finger foods for the reception. Small groups hovered or sat around some of the tables, others were dancing the jitterbug or their own dance to a tune by the Brian Setzer Orchestra chosen by the DJ. The dull roar of a crowd conversing with the running soundtrack of loud gaiety wouldn’t have been my first choice for leisure time. This wasn’t so much about the leisure though. It was a time to celebrate. People all around wearing every perfume and cologne possible, and the smell of shampoos and hair care products circulated like waves over the top of the smells of the foods that were served. It was June of 1999, and this was the wedding reception for my brother and new sister-in-law. I was a part of the wedding party and was glad to be a part of the event, but being an introvert, I knew that the high amount of stimulation would overtake me before long.

Susan, My friend that I had known since high school, had come up from Tennessee with her mother for the event. I had not been able to visit with Susan for a couple of years now, and it was good to catch up with her. Try as I might to focus on conversing with Susan, my attention was caught elsewhere though. I could see across the room a blond woman and she kept drawing my attention. I knew her from the gym that I had begun exercising at the previous month. (The exercise program was mostly therapeutic to draw me out of a period of deep depression that I had just been through.)  I was partially focused on the conversation with Susan, but I was caught in the grips of forces beyond my control. As I was working up the courage to go ask the woman for a dance, my attention was caught elsewhere in the room.

As the music changed to a slow song, “I Could Fall in Love,” by Selena, I heard a soft voice behind me say, “Excuse me, but could I have this dance?”

As I turned around my jaw dropped and I could feel the blood rushing to my ears. It was her-she had come across the room and asked me for a dance. Time froze at that moment for me, and I think the speaking parts of my brain nearly shut down. I breathed in as I came closer to dance with her, and caught fragrance of pears and flowers. I lost all sense of the world that was all around me, and all I could see was this beautiful blond haired, brown eyed woman, smiling and talking to me. I can’t remember much of the details of our conversation, but I knew that I wanted to talk to her again.

About a week later, I asked her out for a date. From the next week on, we went on a couple of dates a week. It turned into an amazing summer, and I can honestly say it was the happiest time of my life up to that point. February 1st we were married in a courthouse ceremony that we look back to with humor now, but at the time we found it to be way less than desired. It was a convenience because of the difficulties arranging an out -of-state wedding that we were planning. We count the second wedding as our true anniversary, February 26th. We had this ceremony in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.


Kathy and I have been through much since that time 12 years ago. I look back and am glad that I found someone that can keep me laughing, and most importantly someone with a heart so full of grace and mercy. Though I have found since that she normally is more quiet turned, but at that time it didn't show. I don’t know if I would have worked up the courage to ask her to dance before she left. I am glad it didn’t depend all on me. I am glad I was caught up in forces beyond my control.

No comments:

Post a Comment